Thursday, February 8, 2018

Weekend with Steve, February 2,3 and 4

Now that Steve lives further away, we don't see him as often as we did when he was younger.  It was good to see him and he was happy to see us.

I took him to Brukner Nature Center on Saturday.  We spent most of our time in the Bird Vista room.  The staff keeps the various feeders filled so generally we see a variety of birds.

We saw the usual ones like American Goldfinches and House Finches.


And we saw the usual woodpeckers including the Red-bellied Woodpecker.


We caught a glimpse of a Pileated Woodpecker.  Because we had my binoculars we were able to watch it even though it flew off into the trees.

Best of all, Steve saw a life bird which is a bird he had never seen before...a Red-headed Woodpecker.  The bird flew closer a few times but didn't stay long enough for me to take its picture.  It stayed out further on this branch for several minutes.  Must have found a tasty snack.


On Sunday, Tom and Steve made Banana Cake/Bread.  The recipe is one of my mother's.  She always made it in a cake pan.  We usually make it in small bread pans so we can share it with friends and neighbors.  Steve took one home and gave one to Gemini who picked him up on Sunday afternoon.


*************************************************

Update on my sketch a day challenge.  I am doing a sketch most days.  Below is No.18


Here is the photo I drew from.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you guys, seeing a lifer in birds is a thrill! Your sketching is just the best ever! You are so talented!!! I have not made banana bread in awhile. Chance loves it!
    I am up early, Chance woke me to go out. Waiting for Gene to call and tell me if he can come home or not, he looks so much better and sounds better too, he has a way to go but I am hopeful that he can stay at home this time. :)

    ReplyDelete