Sunday, August 20, 2017

The Brukner Nature Center Butterfly Transect, August 13, 2017



Joy and frustration. The day was hot and sunny. We saw ten species of butterflies although we didn't see many of any of them.  My biggest frustration was that this was the best picture of a butterfly that I took...A Silver-spotted Skipper.  The warmer the weather the less likely it is for a butterfly to sit quietly for a portrait.

First the joy...

Molly, who is good at identifying moths and caterpillars of both moths and butterflies walked with us today.  Because of her I saw this beautiful caterpillar.  She told me it was the caterpillar of an Eight-spotted Forester, a moth.

When Tom and I were looking at prairie flower sites last month, I took this photo of the adult Eight-spotted Forester.  It is a showy moth which flies during the day.  It has showy tufts on its forelegs.


And now the frustrations...

This is a Hackberry perched on the wall of the Interpretive Center.




A little better photo of an Eastern Tailed Swallowtail.

But then here is one of a Monarch.  We saw two.



A Summer Azure looking worn.

I drove into our drive hoping that Jim got some better photos.  On the garden phlox beside the drive was this butterfly.  I took a few photos.  Butterflies move faster when the temperatures are in the eighties (Fahrenheit) so I took a lot of photos to get these two that enabled me to identify it as a Spicebush female.  I was happy to see one more species of butterfly.




1 comment:

  1. I have not been fast enough to catch a butterfly this year, but I did get a catarpiller photo!
    I am still struggling with my arm/hand. Possibly it will get fixed a week from today..maybe:)

    ReplyDelete