Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Gown, a Different Kind of Art

Many years ago, in one of my other lifetimes, I chose to major in sewing at Harriet Whitney Vocational High School because that was the closest option to art which was my true love.

I haven't sewn for many years but my daughter called me a couple weeks ago.  The Troy Civic Theatre's seamstress had some health issues and ended up in the hospital.  She was in the midst of making costumes for the next play.  Sonja told her she would find some seamstresses to help her.  I agreed to make one of the dresses.

When Jerri  came home from the hospital, she brought me this slip and the fabric for the dress to be attached to the slip so the actress could do a quick change.



She had chosen the fabrics and even figured out how to use the scalloped edge of the dress fabric as the hemline.  I had the dress to cut out and stitch together.


The gown was to be a 1920s dress so Jerri had decided that there could be a mock lowered waist.  I had to think a bit, but,  after laying the fabric against the actress dressed in the slip, and doing some measuring with my old, old tape measure I decided on the proper length for the over blouse.  Jerri assured me two or three times she had bought plenty of material.  She had.  There was plenty left over for the skirt.


You can see the over blouse hem just below the actress's hands.  The bottom hem which is basted in is a bit lost in the shadows but it looks like the picture above this one.

The actress came to the theater with wet hair since this was the first full dress rehearsal and the hairdresser was to work on her hairdo for the play.  I promised her I wouldn't post a head shot.  I was happy the director let me get this picture before she started the rehearsal.  I went home, put in the hem and brought the dress back in a couple hours.  The cast was in the midst of rehearsal and expected to be rehearsing for several more hours.

The more I learn about community theater the more I appreciate those whose avocation is to bring live theater to our area.


1 comment:

  1. You did great it does look 1920's with the dropped waist...they had some crazy dresses back then...this one seems quite tame. Good Job:)

    ReplyDelete