Sunday, June 9, 2013

Butterfly Transit at Brukner Nature Center, June 8


Little Wood Satyr (Megisto cymela)  Wingspan: 1.5-1-9 inches (3.3-4.8 cm)

The weather was much like the weather last week when we walked the transit, 76 degrees Fahrenheit (24.4 Celsius) and the sky covered with clouds.  There were ten of us which was nice.  Generally, the more people are looking the more butterflies we see.  We saw a fair number of species but not as many as last week.  As I was driving home afterward, a few drops of rain hit my windshield.  I wonder if  the threatening rain had sent the butterflies into hiding.  Later in the afternoon, there was more rain.

I was pleased to get this photo of the Little Wood Satyr.  I usually see it with its wings together like this.  It is found in open woodlands, forest clearings, woodland margins, and in adjacent brushy areas.  It blends in well with its background.  I find that it is barely visible if I look at it with the wing edges facing me. Only when it moves can I find it.  Its larvae feeds on various grasses.  It is a common butterfly but not easy to see because of its coloring.

Those of the group with the better cameras took pictures of other butterflies but I found some other interesting animals.  


This middle-sized bullfrog was sunning itself at Cattail Pond.

As we were finishing up the transit, three of us lagged behind.  Judy decided she wanted to see the other side of a flattened little snake on the drive.


Between the two of us, we loosened it from the pavement.  Joan exclaimed, "Why it's a Ring-neck Snake."
And, of course it was...a Northern Ring-neck Snake (Diadophis punctatus edwardsii)  She and I had
 seen them a few times but this was a first for Judy.  

Northern Ring-neck Snakes are basically nocturnal snakes and never get much longer or bigger in diameter than a new pencil.  In Ohio they are found mainly in the southern and eastern counties and along the border of Lake Erie.  They live in sheltered places in moist areas, usually in or near woods.  They eat earthworms, slugs, small salamanders, and snakes.

As always, click on the photos to get a bigger and better view.


No comments:

Post a Comment