Friday, December 21, 2012

Canon's Cigar Shop, London, Ohio

When our friends took us to the Madison County Historical Society Museum, I was amazed. It is much bigger than most I've seen in small towns. It also has a number of outstanding displays. Tom suggested that I take photos for my blog. I took a lot but now I remember other displays I wish I had photographed. Since we visit our friends fairly often, I hope we can arrange to visit them on Wednesdays since that is the only day of the week that the museum is open.

This is the exhibit that Chuck especially wanted us to see, the M. B. Cannon Cigar Store. Mr. Cannon owned the business for over forty-five years.



The entire store was moved to the museum and reassembled. What makes it special are all the furnishings which came with it. Chuck pointed out that the cigar display case even has the original humidors to keep the cigars in perfect condition.
 

And there are five-cent cigars that gave rise to the saying when inflation appeared , "You can't even get a good five-cent cigar anymore."
 

Mr. Cannon gave Christmas turkeys to the newspaper boys who picked up their papers at his store. Behind the boys you can see another view of the outside of the store.


On the counter are old newspapers, their headlines proclaiming historic events.


And back in a corner is the classic cigar store Indian that stood outside the store when it was in its original location in downtown London, Ohio.

8 comments:

  1. I am Impressed! What a great place to visit..isn't it wonderful to walk backward in time!! Merry Christmas!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love some of the "extras" you pointed out. I have visited, but being a local I didn't take the time to really inspect. Thanks. I'm headed back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, glad you enjoyed the blog. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember playing in font of it when I was lil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Madame et Monsieur,
    At first, I hoped you all a very Nice New Year.
    Excused my bad english (I'm a frenche man, lived at Bordeaux).
    I contact you because since many years I prepared a book about the origins of a fantasy 1920's pulp magazine. I collect many informations about this book and about the men who contribued.
    Twelve years ago, Mr Cannon (the grandson of Mr. Maxey B. Cannon) sold on ebay some items from the cigar shop of his grand-father. They were detached covers from 1920's unsold pulps (a 1920s' practice of the booksellers -Mr Cannon in this case-, cut himself the covers of the magazines and put them inside some accounting books).
    I lost contact with Mr Cannon grandson and want to contact him again for informations (photos of his grand-father and his grand-mother Laura...)
    Do you have informations about him or can the museum (the original cigar-store was moved ? and became a museum ?). I'm very happy to find you blog.
    Sincerely.
    Thank you very much.
    Eric Vignolles -FRANCE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cigar Shop is in the Madison County Museum in London, Ohio USA. Someone there may be able to help you.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete