Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Playing with Glazing Techniques.


I took this photo at Charleston Falls in 2010.  I was hiking in the afternoon and the sun was bright.  Everywhere the shadows were interesting.



Yesterday I decided to use this as a reference photo for an 10 inch by 8 inch painting.  I did enough of a sketch to position the various components and then began laying down pale washes of color using a Stephen Quiller No. 12 brush made by Richeson.  Naming the manufacturer of the brush is important because all No. 12 brushes are not the same size.  The No. 12 brush is the largest brush in the photo below. Its full body holds a lot of water and color.

With it are some of the other brushes I use.  I rarely use the smallest bodied one, a No. 2 Escoda.  Instead, I use the No. 4 Escoda for most of the detail work.  That is the second brush in the line-up.



1 comment:

  1. The more modern technique is to use an online gas filler, which eliminates the need to drill holes in the spacer. The units are then sealed on the edge side using either polysulphide or silicone sealant or similar material to prevent humid outside air from entering the unit.

    ReplyDelete